Happy New Year Sharks - Juniors, Womens and 5ths are back in action this week
In 1924 a group of men and boys, guided by the Willison clan began playing street cricket in Washington Avenue, East Malvern, and in 1927 commenced competition in the Caulfield Districts Cricket Association.
The Washington Cricket Club was born and tasted premiership success in its first competitive season in 1927-28. (see more of Life Member Frank Seaton's story HERE)
The club went into temporary recess at the start of World War II, but was resurrected by Arthur Hart and Jim Mills in the mid 1940’s using Lord’s Reserve, Carnegie as a home base.
In 1952 the Washington Cricket Club moved to Packer Park, its present home ground, and formed a Second XI. In 1954, an Under 16 team commenced and in 1958 a new Pavilion was opened at Packer Park.
In 1966 an under 14 team was added and both junior teams joined the City of Moorabbin Cricket Association (CMCA) – The CMCA was renamed South East Cricket Association (SECA) in 2013.
In 1970 the senior teams joined the CMCA. A Third XI was formed in 1975 and a Fourth XI was formed in 1977. And in 1979 our junior ranks expanded to include an Under 12 team.
Channon Park Cricket Club began life as St Johns Cricket Club in the late 1950’s and began playing matches in the CMCA. The club was based at various locations around McKinnon, but eventually found a home at Duncan MacKinnon Reserve in Carnegie.
Channon Park Cricket formed both senior junior teams.
In 1984 the Channon Park Cricket and the Washington Cricket Club completed a friendly merger to form Washington Park Cricket Club.
A Fifth XI was formed in 1995 and a Sixth XI was formed in 2000.
In 1988 the club fielded a Womens XI for the first time.
In 1989-90 Washington Park Cricket Club won the Longmuir Shield, the flagship competition of the CMCA for the first time.
In 2000, the much loved pavilion at Packer Park was demolished and replaced with a new modern facility. In the following years, Packer Park itself was redeveloped to be one of the premier parks in the South east suburbs of Melbourne. The redevelopment of the park included upgrades to the ground and cricket nets, and in 2016 the club installed a new electronic scoreboard to give the club access to some of the best facilities in the SECA.
In 2011/12 our First XI and Second XI both won premierships in their respective grades, Woolnough Shield (B Grade) and Quiney Shield (C Grade), and resulted in the promotion of both teams up where we belong, in the top grades of Longmuir and Woolnough Shields.
In 2015/16 the First XI won the Longmuir Shield for the second time after a 26 year drought. The great victory was even sweeter with the grand final being played at our home, Packer Park, underneath the new electronic scoreboard in front of hundreds of our members, supporters and sponsors. The celebrations were something to behold for the current players and even bought a tear to the eye of some of our old timers.
The club is well known and respected within the SECA with association representatives both on and off the field. In recent times a number of former club players have gone on to play at Premier, State and National level and several players are working within the ranks of Cricket Australia and even the ECB.
With a proud history, a strong past players group and a focus on family engagement, Washington Park Cricket Club has held big celebrations for its 75th, 80th and 85th anniversaries in the past two decades and in 2017/18 we celebrated our 90th anniversary with a great function with over 100 guests including many of our life members.
In 2020, the club has 5 senior teams, 10 junior teams (including 3 all Girl’s teams formed jointly with neighboring clubs) and a thriving Junior and Master Blaster’s program, catering for all age groups and abilities from 6 to 66. The club has home grounds at Packer Park, Duncan Mackinnon Reserve and Princes Park.
A strong and active committee supports the playing group, providing a number of social events throughout the cricket season.